Historic Fort Hamilton is located in the south western corner of Brooklyn, New York surrounded by the communities of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst. The cornerstone of this coastal defense fort was set in 1825 and the first garrison flag was raised in 1831. While many of the original structures are gone, some having yielded to the construction of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, part of the old fort remains on the grounds of the United States Army Fort Hamilton Garrison. Building 220, the old fort in bldg. 207 and the Harbor Defense Museum in bldg. 230 are on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic museum is located in the caponier of the old fort and is virtually untouched.
Page updated 20 June 2003