US Flag Army Seal POW Flag

194th Tank Battalion

Bar

The 1st Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment, was originally constituted on 1 September 1940 as the 194th Tank Battalion and organized from existing units in California, Minnesota, and Missouri National Guard. It was inducted into Federal service from 23 December 1940-3 March 1941 at home stations; Headquarters, 194th Tank Battalion, organized on 12 March 1941 at Fort Lewis, WA. The battalion inactivated on 2 April 1946 in the Philippine Islands.

The unit reorganized on 9 April 1947 in the Minnesota Army National Guard with Headquarters at Brainerd. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1949 as the 194th Heavy Tank Battalion and assigned to the 47th Infantry Division; and on 1 September 1950 as the 194th Tank Battalion. It was ordered into active Federal service on 16 January 1951 at home stations.

The 194th Tank Battalion (NGUS) organized and was Federally recognized on 16 January 1953 with Headquarters at Brainerd. It was released on 2 December 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 194th Tank Battalion (NGUS).

It consolidated on 22 February 1959 with the 1st Battalion, 136th Infantry and the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 194th Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division.

The unit reorganized on 1 April 1963 as the 1st Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 1 February 1968 as the 194th Cavalry, to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 47th Infantry Division. The 194th Cavalry was withdrawn on 30 November 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and allotted the United States Army Regimental System. It reorganized on 10 February 1991 to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 34th Infantry Division.

It was converted and redesignated on 1 September 1992 as the 194th Infantry to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division.

Bar



Page updated 11 Dec 2011